We are pleased to announce the first release of York digital libraries next search interface, albeit a demonstrator at present. This release marks the first milestone in a series of quarterly releases set to roll out York’s multimedia interface for production later this year.
Features in this release:
- Full text search across image indexing VRA metadata
- Faceted navigation within search result
- Results sorting, pagination and specifying number of results
- Downloading images
- Browsing collection hierarchy
- Viewing detailed VRA meta data for images
- Image zoom with two alternatives, native browser based image zoom along with demonstrator of deep zoom within images
- Demonstrator for viewing image sequences like pages in a manuscript
The server side platform for the search interface is Java, using Spring MVC (Model View Control) with Apache SOLR for indexing and searching our digital repository, while the client side is built on top of Yahoo User Interface (YUI) framework and Adobe Flex.
The next release (code named Marta) will aim to integrate the demonstrators from the previous version along with taking on user feedback and applying a stronger visual brand to the interface. Development on a discovery tool backed by Getty thesaurus and semantic techniques will be prototyped as well.